My husband has a few favorite items that he can eat over and over and over and never tire of. Like most men, he is still 5 years old when it comes to his love of sugary cereal. Fruit Loops, Captian Crunch, Count Chocula, Boo Berry, you name it he loves it
Both he and the 20-year-old could have Cereal 3 times a day and think nothing of it. Boys…… go figure! I on the other hand never ever let milk touch my cereal when I eat it which is very very rarely. Milk….. Blech….. it’s for baking and cooking not drinking. Oh and dunking Oreo’s in… but that’s it!
Steve does really love Granola Cereal and right now it has been his cereal of choice for a few months. Has anyone seen how SMALL the box of granola cereal is related to its price? Holy cow! His cereal addiction is doing serious damage to my grocery budget.
That and my granola bar addiction! This recipe started out as a granola bar. As you can see by the small little bits it is in, that idea failed. Let me tell you this is one gorgeous and most tasty failure!
I made this a sweet granola with White Chocolate Chips, Mini Chocolate Chips, and Peanut Butter Chips. You could easily make this a bit healthier with dried fruit and nuts.
I just thought let’s feed that sugar addiction of mine with something a bit more wholesome than a chunk of cake! You should feel free to play with any combination of flavors that you like best. The next time I make it I am going to use dried dark cherries and dark chocolate chips. You have to have Chocolate in granola.
It’s like a rule or something…… Once you see how easy and cheap it is to make this you will never have to buy that overpriced too small for the value box of granola again! How could you not want to dive into a bowl of this every morning? If you are like me and not a huge cereal fan I just nosh on this as a snack much the same way I gobble down my beloved granola bars!
Just because it is not in the shape of a bar does not mean it is not as deliciously wonderful. I am going to play with this recipe and find the magic that will make it hold together to keep its shape to stay in a bar shape.
Until that time Steve has a huge batch of the Sweetest, Peanut Butteriest, Chocolate Chip goodness that he has ever had for breakfast before! He had a bowl for dinner tonight! See Boys…… Really, my idea for breakfast blows his out of the water. Of all the ways you can eat granola is there really anything better than on top of Vanilla Yogurt?
Read Also:- Breakfast Pizza Recipe
I think not! So make this budget-friendly, husband-happy cereal/snack and your day will be just a bit brighter!
Please feel free to mix any flavor combination that you like. Just make sure that your mix in only adds up to 1 total cup. Two mixes in’s 1/2 a cup each, 4 mixes in’s 1/4 cup each, and so forth. This recipe is adapted from Simply Organized Living.com
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup peanut butter chips
- line a jelly roll pan with wax paper and give a little spray of nonstick spray (this batch will make enough for a quarter sheet pan. If you don’t have a pan this large you can divide it between two pans)
- in a large bowl mix the remaining dry ingredients
- in a saucepan heat the honey and sugar over medium heat
- stir until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is not very cloudy
- remove from the heat
- stir in the peanut butter until melted and incorporated
- pour over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is coated
- spread out on prepared Jelly Roll pan and smooth out (this makes enough to cover a quarter sheet pan)
- let set until hard (well cool, it doesn’t really harden)
- break up in small pieces and place in an airtight container
Leave a Reply