I think we all can agree that Potatoes are a very important staple in an Irish Household. Anyone familiar with History can retell the horrors that struck Ireland in 1845 during the Potato Famine. Without this Main crop as a source of food and income tens of thousands of Irish families fled the island. I think we can all count ourselves lucky that we don’t have to worry about a fungus that killed the potatoes. So now we can enjoy mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, gnocchi, potato skins, hash browns, french fries, and most importantly we can have Irish Potato Cakes!
These potato cakes can be served savory or they can be served the traditional way with butter and sugar, not unlike our pancakes. Breakfast, lunch, or Tea are a perfect time to serve these.
Read Also:- Summer Apple Salad Recipe
I love how dense they are and seasoned properly they are an amazing side dish. A fun twist from the same ole boring baked potato!
Irish Potato Cakes Recipe
- 1/2 12 lbs any kind potato peeled and diced for quicker boiling times
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 & 1/2 cup AP Flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash onion powder
- boil the peeled and diced potato until fork tender
- drain the water and mash the potatoes
- mix in butter, salt and pepper and onion powder
- let cool a bit so it is easier to handle
- flour your work surface very well
- turn out the mash and slowly knead the flour into the mash to make a dough
- this will be a stick mess at first but it will come together to make a roll able dough
- roll out dough to 1/2' thick and cut triangles
- heat a non stick skillet to med high and cook each triangle 2 min on each side
- you don't need any butter or oil in the pan, just dry cook them
- serve with butter alongside your meal